An Age Pension can be more valuable than cash in the bank
Being eligible for a full or part age pension in Australia means much, much more than a top up of cash each fortnight. The Pensioner Concession Card benefits delivered to Age Pension recipients are often more widely valued than the fortnightly cash payment from Centrelink.
With recent changes impacting eligibility for the age pension, many Australians retirement plans are being revised.
Why is eligibility for an age pension so important for so many Australian seniors?
While a reduction in fortnightly Age Pension rates for many Australian seniors is tough, the other benefits being eligible for an Age Pension bring, remain. Age Pension recipients are automatically granted a Pensioner Concessions Card (PCC).
Here is a list of some of the benefits of holding a Pensioner Concessions Card
- Cheaper medicine under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- bulk billed doctor visits, which will depend on your doctor if you are eligible for these
- A bigger refund for medical costs when you reach the Medicare Safety Net
- Help with hearing services, such as the Hearing Services Program on the Department of Health and Aged Care website
- Discounts to redirect your mail through Australia Post.
In Victoria via the Department of Human Services > Financial Support > Concessions, you may also be entitled to additional concessions such as:
- An Annual Electricity Concession: 17.5% discount plus on energy bills is a fantastic bonus to your annual budget.
- An Electricity Transfer Fee Waiver: having the full electricity transfer fee waived is a great cost saver if you’ve decided to move to somewhere that suits your retirement lifestyle priorities.
- A Medical Cooling Concession: this applies over and above the Annual Electricity Concession and is available to assist with cooling bills for households where a member has a condition that affects their body’s ability to regulate temperature.
- A Utility Relief Grant: available on application for hardship in a temporary financial crisis where a Concession Card holder can’t pay for essential services.
- A Municipal Rates Concession: a 50% discount on council rates is a very welcome concession for homeowners. The amount discounted is capped annually.
On top of these benefits, keep in mind that you may be entitled to the benefits of a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
For more information on Health and Concession Cards that you may be entitled to, visit the Department of Human Services > Customer > Subjects > Concession and health care cards.
If you would like to learn more, you are invited to join us for an informative session and complimentary 2-course meal with Heidi Schwegler, Certified Financial Planner at the Armstrong Green Clubhouse, in Armstrong Creek. See below invitation for information and register today.